Friday, January 1, 2010

Resolutions

I realize that this is probably a pointless exercise in which I'm setting myself up for failure (seriously, I've never known anyone to actually achieve any of their New Year's resolutions...we just set our goals impossibly high), but what can I say? I'm a sucker for lists, so here goes.

1) Create a budget and stick to it
2) Eat out (fast food included) no more than twice a week
3) Drastically reduce intake of carbonated drinks (goodbye diet coke...)
4) PLAN AHEAD--menus, finances, lesson plans, jobs, etc.
5) Exercise at least three times a week...walks? gym? yoga? something...ANYTHING.
6) Create hard-copy photo albums...too many pictures stored online where I don't see them as often.
7) Start the day off right. AKA: Jesus
8) Use time more efficiently
9) Consistently get more than 3 hours of sleep per night
10) Love more, laugh more, dance more, sing more, give more...you get the picture :)

It's a pretty hefty one, I'll admit. But it's a new year, and it's basically human nature to see today as a turning point...a chance to start fresh with new goals in mind.

Now here is where I will get slightly sappy. Taking a look back, 2009 held some extremely significant experiences and lessons. So here's another list...the highest (and sometimes scariest) moments that made this past year stand out from all the rest.

  • Traveled to Paris.
  • Spent the summer in Indiana with Heather and Doug.
  • Worked as a nanny for the Wanchic family, which allowed me to go on tour with John Mellencamp and band, traveling quite a bit
  • Had my first real teaching/classroom experience and realized just how near it is to my heart
  • Purchased an awful car that the previous owners must have absolutely cursed before selling...now I know to buy from a dealer with a warranty!
  • Spent a semester (with one more still ahead!) with 2 of the most amazing roommates and friends I could possibly ask for
  • Realized just how much those friendships mean to me
  • Attended another NCTE convention in Philadelphia
  • Significantly expanded my book collection
  • Met a famous YA author
  • Finally hung pictures on the walls of my apartment
  • Turned 21!
I guess I'll stop there, but I would say that's a pretty substantial list! I thank God for all of the experiences and growth that He has sent my way!

No comments: