Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Thanks to Max Lucado and his book It's Not About Me, I've learned some pretty awesome stuff over the past few days:

God is good! And you want to know something amazingly refreshing? His goodness, faithfulness, love, grace, holiness...has NOTHING to do with me. Not that I'm not benefited and blessed by all of those things, that's not what I mean to say at all. But the character of God does not depend on me, nor does it revolve around me. I know we all trick ourselves into believing that we're really not selfish individuals, that we have come to the realization that life isn't just about us but it's about helping others. But my goodness...when you are able to come to a place where you understand that absolutely nothing about you or your circumstances have any significance other than to reflect God's glory, it will be life-changing. Because here's the thing: living out our one and only purpose of promoting God and His goodness is not a demotion from where we thought we should dwell. By demanding that all of our attention remain focused on Him, God is not promoting Himself simply for the sake of self-promotion but rather to drown us in Light, to show us His ways so that He can rescue us. And when we reflect Him, our hearts are tuned to His, and we are changed. Our words turn from complaints and worries to praise and adoration. His Word says that He inhabits the praises of His people. When our focus shifts from us to Him and we find ourselves blessing His name, we grow closer to the Father. Pretty cool, huh?

No comments: