Sunday, November 22, 2009

Day 2

Ok, so my new "dedication" must really be taking off if I'm up at ten to 7 blogging :) Not really...I have to leave in about 40 minutes to catch a train to the airport. Doesn't that just sound so grown up? "I have to catch my train..." I found myself in a series of those kinds of experiences while I was traveling to NCTE this weekend. Like when I explained to the gate agent that I was traveling to a professional conference and really needed to make sure that the delays in Charlotte didn't cause me to miss my connecting flight to Philly. Or when I was casually chatting with Sarah Dessen's book editor about the kind of fiction I wanted to have in my classroom. Or then there the was the moment in the airport when I was sitting quietly grading papers to pass the time (we were delayed for 2-3 hours, and surprisingly enough...I only graded a couple of them) and I suddenly found myself engaged in quite the conversation with a college professor from Ohio about how 8th grade achievement is the single most significant factor in determining if kids will attend college or not. We were looking at this article and discussing graphs and data and everything! Gosh, I am such a nerd sometimes.

Who knows what kind of bizarre experiences I'll have on the trip back.

By the way, I've decided that I'm going to try this whole writing every day thing for at least a month. So this is officially day 2 :)

No comments: